Minutes of the May 14, 2005 meeting of the Weld Amateur Radio Society
Reminder: Next meeting June 11, 2005.
- The meeting was called to order by Rob KAØVNB.
- The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as presented.
- No treasures report this month.
- Members present introduced themselves.
- George WDØGNE asked if anyone watched the Jay Leno show last night?
The current world Text Messaging champ competed against two 30+ year
Morse code veterans. Morse code won.
- Stan KØKZQ provided the repeater update. The new repeater is up and
functioning. The 2 meter antenna has been moved to the higher location
(approximately 130 feet on the tower). The 440 repeater is also
working fine. Andy is still listed as the repeater trustee.
Bud KØMAR has filled out the paperwork to change the trustee.
We just need to identify who the new trustee will be.
- Rob and Berry NØOYM attended Colorado Council meeting. There was a
good BPL presentation. There was an update on a problem where Motorol
a was causing interference to the Loveland Repeater Association (LRA).
All 2 meter pairs in northern Colorado have been allocated. There is
an effort underway to identify any unused pairs that have been allocated.
There are still plenty of 440 pairs available. Berry discussed the use
of a 440 pair for our IRLP control line. There will be some minor band
plan changes down the road.
- George suggested we get the IRLP system on the air with the equipment
we have to "kick the tires" and then decide what we need to do to
improve the system.
- George will need help this coming Saturday to move a heavy desk from
his home into the garage for a garage sale.
- Rob reported on the March of Dimes activity last month. There were
approximately 250 walkers.
- Rob reminded us that the Fort Collins Marathon is the last week in May.
- Richard KØRAW provided an ARES update.
- Thanks to everyone that helped with the March of Dimes event.
- There will be an all hazards exercise that will include 11 counties.
The DRT may be activated for this exercise. Approximate date
is July 22.
- The National Disaster Medical Services exercise will be June 11. One
day, 12 hours. Expecting to schedule as two 6 hour shifts. Requested
Peter N7TDJ help with antennas. There will be 150 cadets from Peterson
Field flown in as casualties. Next year, this exercise will be state
- June 13 will be a terrorist exercise. Military personnel from Air
National Guard will be the terrorists. Currently we are not scheduled
to be involved in this one.
- Richard has a second ATV repeater up.
- Richard described his 56Kb data link in his vehicle which he uses
during storm chasing. This link allows him to send e-mail while
chasing storms. He is working on a 128Kb link.
- The Wild West Ride. This is from Fort Collins to Steamboat and
will occur in August.
- Rob will present an APRS and Packet workshop after the meeting today.
- Rob found a number of PowerPoint files on the ARRL website. Rob is
hoping to review and then starting presenting one per month after
each monthly meeting.
- Mark AIØL provided an update on Kerry. He is doing well and has
recently opened a new club. Will be traveling to China soon.
- Rob volunteered to do the thank you letter to Hal and has it typed
up. Rob would like club members review it. If you hear Hal (NØKNK)
on the air, say Hi.
- Dave WØEDW may not be able to participate in field day this year and
asked for volunteers to coordinate field day efforts this year. Mark
volunteered the use of his property. He has a bucket truck there that
can be used in setting up antennas. However, Mark has other commitments
and will not be there. Club decided to use the Missile Park as
- The computer in the radio room has a sound card problem which Rob
and Dave are working on.
- Cliff WØITD informed the club that will be a senior bike ride on
June 26. We have done communications for them before, but the past
few years they have using cell phones. The club is being considered for
communication support again.
- Cliff informed us that the rent at the repeater site will be going up.
- Dave suggested that anyone that wants to get a feel for IRLP to play
with EchoLink. Dave has been experimenting with EchoLink and feels it
is something the club may want to investigate.
- Bill KCØNJD said the Sunday evening net has been going well.
147.000MHz at 8:00pm.
- Meeting adjourned.
Reminder: ARRL Field Day June 25-26